"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Saturday, December 22, 2007

To wrap or not to wrap...

Definitely WRAP!! Below is a picture of a few of my beautifully wrapped/bagged Christmas presents that I spent well over FIVE hours on last night. CRAZY! Before my sister got married and we still lived under the same roof, she always got the job of wrapping Christmas presents every year. It just wasn't something I loved doing and to be honest it still isn't one of my most favorite things in the world. As I was entering about my 3rd hour of wrapping last night, I just starting thinking to myself..."self, why do we wrap Christmas presents anyway?" I had several friends growing up that would wake up Christmas morning to the surprise of seeing their Christmas presents all at once because their parents didn't wrap theirs. As much as I dislike wrapping presents, I don't think I would enjoy not getting to 1). Admire a beautifully wrapped package 2). Shake the daylights out of it and try to guess what it is before opening it 3). Ripping into the package throwing paper everywhere, struggling to get the tape off the box, and then finally 4). Revealing a gift that was probably MUCH better than what I had guessed it to be. I did a little research online to find out what other people's reasoning behind wrapping gifts is and this is what I found out.
  • To conceal what it is
  • To present the present in a pleasing way
  • To enhance anticipation
  • To spread the festive atmosphere, whether it is Christmas, a birthday, wedding, etc.
  • For traditions sake

So, there ya have it. Wether it's because our mother's mother's mother wrapped Christmas presents or because we love to see someone so excited about opening a gift, there is a reason behind picking out pretty paper and bows to cover a cardboard box. Wrap...it's worth it! :)

No comments: