"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Meredith's Get Fit Journey - Take 3...Wimpy Weights!

I cannot tell a lie! This has certainly been one of the tougher weeks I've had in my "get fit journey". It's not necessarily been a bad week, just a tough one. We always find reasons to celebrate at work...birthdays, work anniversaries, you name it - we'll bring in a cake! So, needless to say, this was a week of many celebrations and lots of really bad food. I didn't go over my daily points, but I still ate lots of things that just made me feel "gross" yet somehow tasted so yummO at the time. I have had some really good workouts the past few days though and am back on track! I've been using my weights more often and am really beginning to notice a difference. I usually only use them in a workout video that I do at times if I can't get outside, but I've been taking them with me when I go on my walks/jogs, and enjoy it. I call them my "wimpy weights" because as you can see, they're only 2 pounders. But hey, something's better than nothing, right? I did a little reading on the benefits of lifting weights and here's the top ten reasons from one website I ran across: 1)Weight lifting helps lose fat. 2)You feel strong and fit. 3)You have more energy. 4)You'll finally see the results. 5)You won't get bored. 6)You have a stonger back. 7)You can train at home. 8)You can get rid of pain. 9)You have everyday, functional strength. 10)You build stronger bones. So, there ya have it! Oh, and an update from my last GFJ post...jumping rope is INSANE! When I was a kid, I could've jumped until the cows came home. As an adult, those cows ain't never gonna make it home! :) My advice for this GFJ post...set small, realistic goals that don't sound or look completely overwhelming. For instance, my first weight loss goal was 15 pounds, then 30, then 50, etc. Sure, I have an end goal in mind, but making smaller goals along the way has been so helpful for me personally. And not to mention that I get to reward myself each time I reach one of these smaller goals! My reward for my next goal of 75 pounds...pedicure with the girls! Hang in there and have a super week!

3 comments:

Chad Bugg said...

Keep pumping that 'iron'...or the whatever you call it 2lb weights!! You are so right about the benefits for lifting and to add to that...your body burns, I think, 10 times more calories per storage of 1 lb of muscle versus fat. Keep up the good work!

Kevin Cabe said...

Look at those GUNS!!!! You need a band-aid b/c you are cut!!!!

Joe and Abby said...

Mere, I laugh so hard everytime I read your blog. You are an inspiration, and so talented! I can hear your voice saying the things you write. I miss you like crazy! LOVE YOU!!