"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Sunday, August 30, 2009

God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, He's so good to me!

Wow...what a week! We all know that some weeks are simply just better than others and this past week was definitely an "other" in my world. I'm not saying the whole week was a flop...please hear me say that I have SO very much to be thankful for and no room at all to complain...there were just a few moments that weren't my favorite...that's all! :) Needless to say, I was begging for the weekend to get here and am thankful for the start of a brand new week tomorrow.

This weekend has been exactly what I needed to refocus and get my thoughts geared in the right direction once again after that crazy week I just encountered. Aaron and I visited with his Mom and Dad Friday night and all day yesterday. His Dad officially became a Senior Citizen on Friday so we definitely helped him celebrate! :) (i don't think he reads my blog...so hopefully I'm safe in letting the secret out!)

I had such a good time with Aaron this weekend. He's been such a hero in my life over the past few days. The poor thing called me one night this past week - hadn't talked to him really all day that day, and the first thing he hears from me are not words but instead a horrible sobbing sound that probably made him instantly wish he had of forgotten my phone number that day. But instead, he patiently listened to my cry over a personal issue I had going on, assured me things would all work out and be fine, and then lead me to the Lord in prayer. Such a perfect example of living out the Word and "bearing one another's burdens". Work was a little on the crazy side too this week and I simply just felt worn down and bone tired by Friday. Been there? So, Friday night, I made it to Aaron's parents close to 8, then he and I headed out to meet a good friend of his that is going to play the piano in our wedding. BTW, boy can tear up that piano! SO excited! Afterwards on the way back to Aaron's parents, we stopped by good old McDonald's for an ice cream cone. I have to say, there is nothing more relaxing than eating an ice cream cone in the car, late at night, with the Braves on the radio in the background, sitting beside your best friend. Again, God is good and knew exactly what I needed in that moment. Then yesterday morning, after waking up pretty early (at least for a Saturday), I walked in to Aaron's parents living room only to see my sweet fella out on the back deck, his puppies playing at his feet, and the Word of God opened in his lap. Now I know that Aaron is not perfect...none of us are. But I have to tell you that I have never seen a sweeter sight and never felt more safe than in that moment. To see the man that the Lord has chosen to join me with, seeking direction and allowing himself to be comforted by words that will never return void. After taking a "mental photo", I joined Aaron and we just sat...in the stillness of the cool, quiet morning. I'm not sure what Aaron's thoughts were, but mine where something along the lines of "thank you, Lord. You are so faithful." Again, God is good and knew exactly what I needed in that moment. We spent a big part of our day yesterday hanging out with Aaron's mom and then we had a fun cookout for Mr. King's birthday last night. After we finished eating and were just sitting around the table with full bellies, Aaron's dad teased us that we weren't allowed to know what his birthday wish was, but he did want us to know something that he was very thankful for...that each of us sitting around that table has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and had found our salvation in Him. What a treasure that I get to become a part of this family.

I had to attend the funeral of a sweet friend today. Tori was a precious girl that I went to college with and to church with for a short period of time during our college days. Tori was killed this past week in an auto accident - such an awful, sad thing to receive this news this past week. However, as sad as it all is, Tori had such an incredible heart for the Lord and I have no doubt that there is no other place she'd rather be than where she is right this very minute...worshipping Him like never before. Throughout this entire week and this weekend, from the tears I've cried, to the thankfulness in my heart over the Lord's faithfulness, to the farewell of this sweet friend, I have once again been reminded that absolutely nothing else in this life matters more than finding a personal relationship with Him and sharing that with anyone I possibly can. Because we might just be the tool the Lord uses in someones life so that one day, someone we might not even know, can successfully sit around his dinner table with people he loves the most in this world and say, without a doubt, that his family knows the Lord and have the assurance in his heart that no matter what path life takes them down, they are safe because of their Savior.

God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, He's so good to me!

4 comments:

Gina Buffington said...

Thanks for this entry Merideth, I needed it and God was faithful to let me see it. I pray that your week is awesome and that God's faithfulness will continue to shine before you.

Anonymous said...

God IS good!! I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough week, but God is faithful in restoring our souls.
I'm so glad you have found such a wonderful best friend to share good & bad times with you. I have one, too. BUT....I still want to meet your best friend!!!! Aunt M.

aaron said...

man... you make me sound good. :) babe, i'm just as blessed to have you in my life. GOD IS GOOD and you are amazing! i love you hon.

Anonymous said...

Meredith, every time I read your blog I am overwhelmed with excitement and joy for you! I have truly prayed God would bring an incredible man into your life that would love you like Christ loves the church, and he has been so faithful! I love learning more about God's faithfulness as you share more about this man God has chosen as your partner in life! I love you and can't wait to see you soon...hopefully before the wedding. :) -Christy