"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Blog Title...

I realize that I haven't fully explained my blog title and since I've had this blog for a couple months now, I suppose it's time to do that. A couple of years ago, a dear friend really highlighted in my life the passage of scripture that's posted at the bottom of my blog page..."We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5) I don't really remember what the circumstances were in my life at the moment that my friend chose to share this passage with me...chances are I was in the middle of an emotional breakdown. I don't experience these breakdowns too often, but when I do, boy can they be tricky! There are several truths that the Lord has revealed over the past couple of years that have stemmed from this scripture. In return, I've become pretty passionate about sharing this passage with anyone who I believe can benefit from writing it on the tablets of their heart. (everyone!)
Truth number one is that we are ALL emotional beings. God created emotions, so surely He's created a way for us to live with those emotions in a healthy way. There are good emotions and bad emotions, nonetheless, they are all real. Truth number two is that feelings are not always facts. Example: Somedays I feel like I'm not very valuable. Something we all feel from time to time. This is a feeling, but is it a fact? Absolutely not! This is where 2 Corinthians 10:5 comes in and the part where I get so excited! We are in a constant battle...a battle with the world and a battle with self. There are so many days that we live in defeat of these battles and not as victors. How can we be victorious? By doing what 2 Cor. 10:5 tells us to do. We must make a conscience effort to think about and filter through the things we allow to go through our minds. ("take captive every thought") We then must take those thoughts or feelings...for example the thought that we aren't of value...recognize that they are NOT truth, and then search out in the Word what truth is. ("make the thought obedient to Christ"). So in this example, truth would be "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made". (Psalm 139:14) That's how we unveil Truth in our lives...I love it! So...know that emotions are not bad and feelings are not bad. Just make sure they don't stem from lies but from His Truth!

No comments: