"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Monday, November 3, 2008

Tuesday's Vote

My friend Todd sent out an email today and I thought it was appropriate to share on my blog. God is Sovereign and completely in control. May we remember that always!

I usually don’t write these types of emails, but yesterday I got REALLY convicted about Tuesday’s Presidential election. We (like many of the churches around the country I am sure) had a message yesterday on politics. However, this sermon was not the typical sermon that you hear. Our pastor, David Hill, got up in the pulpit and with one swift kick to my teeth, made me really ponder if I had made the right decision when I voted several weeks ago during our early voting time. However, that part of his sermon is not what I am writing to you about today. What I want to write to you about today comes straight from the text that my pastor used for his sermon yesterday. Romans 13:1-7. In this particular passage, Paul is writing to the church and telling them what their role or responsibility is concerning politics. Well since the Bible is timeless, perfect, sovereign, and very much still alive and well today, Paul’s message still rings VERY true for the church today.

So what is our role in politics? Well go ready Romans 13:1-7 and you will see. It will not tell you who to vote for, but it sure will tell you whoever wins was chosen by God and appointed by the sovereign ruler of this world way back in eternity past. Verse 1, “those which exist are established by GOD!!” In other words, if Barrack Obama wins this election, guess what, GOD CHOSE HIM!!! How about that for a dirty taste in your mouth? Can you believe that a Bible believing, inerrancy believing, sovereignty of God preaching pastor, and strong supporter of the pro-life agenda would say that? Here we have a man who has staunchly opposed and continues to oppose ALL my views and I am telling you that if he is elected that GOD chose him. What is up with that? READ ROMANS 13! Then look back all throughout the old testament and see where God used many evil Kings to bring about his divine purpose and plan. And that was just the start of his sermon. He made another point in his message that cut me to the core. If the man who wins this election is not the one that I voted for, I am commanded time and time again throughout the Bible by God that I am to pray for him. This left a really bad taste in my mouth. I don’t like the other guy. But I am still commanded to pray for him. Then our pastor asked this question, “When Bill Clinton was in office, how many times did you pray for him?” WOW!! As much as I disliked that man, God chose him to be in power and by my not praying for him, I have disobeyed God.

I guess that is enough for now. I just wanted to share my heart with all of you on this FINE Monday morning. If you have not, I challenge you to read Romans 13. Let God challenge you like he has challenged me. I will say that this election has been on my mind for some time now. I can’t listen to talk radio, watch Fox News, or anything of that sort without getting fighting mad. But then God takes me to a passage like Romans 13 and he kicks me right in the teeth. God has chosen our leader already. We must be faithful to do what he has called us to do. Trust his hand of ordination and orchestration, and pray for whomever he lets be the next president of this great nation.There are so many more things that I could say regarding this topic of our role in politics, but I will leave those for another time. My fingers are tired. I will say this as I finish. Just because God has already set forth who the next President of the USA will be, that does not mean that we still don’t have to vote. It is much like evangelism. I believe God and only God calls people unto Him and he elects them into his family. However, we are still his mouthpiece. Either you can obey God and do what he has commanded you to do, or you can disobey his command and reap his punishment. Just pray long and hard for God to show you who he wants you to vote for!

No comments: