"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Do I live up to it?

I read this passage of scripture last week and it's been one of those verses that's just kept coming back to mind almost everyday since I read it. "Only let us live up to what we have already attained." (Philippians 3:16) Paul wrote these words right after he basically said, "ya know, I realize that there's a whole lot about the Lord and His ways that I still don't know and don't get. But those things that I do know, that He's taught me and that I have taken hold of...I'm gonna live those out for His glory." I've been thinking on things this week that I know to be true about my Savior, things that I know I should live out in obedience to Him each day. I will never know it all, just like none of us ever will. But by His grace, He has taught me and teaches me so much about Himself every day. I attain little bits of knowledge on my journey with Him each day and it's my responsibility to be living up to those things and "working them out" in my life each day. So, to answer my question, no, I haven't been living up to the things I have already attained but my goal for today and tomorrow and the next day is to strive for that. "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." (Philippians 3:12)

1 comment:

Chad Bugg said...

I know I never live up to what I have obtained...and yet the verse should be of some comfort to us because I know I will never fully realize the mysteries of Christ as Paul did. Also, I no longer have to feel bad about not knowing something...but that this is only something that through studying the scriptures and asking the Holy Spirit to reveal.