"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God; and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:5

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Meredith's Get Fit Journey - Take 4...More than the physical!

Sorry I haven't posted a GFJ update in almost a MONTH...wow. Time flies. Things have gone pretty well as far as exercise and eating have gone this month, although I haven't lost but about 2 pounds. I'm ok with that though...2 pounds is 2 pounds! My current total is 71.2. I was talking with my friend Joel the other day and after hearing some very encouraging words from him in regards to my weight loss, he reminded me that the principles and disciplines I'm gaining through my weight loss can be applied to SO many areas of my life...not just in losing weight. The ways that I'm learning to set goals and boundaries, reaching those goals and celebrating when they are met...so many things I'm learning! I need to set goals and boundaries in my financial life, my spiritual life, in my relationships with others. And I need to celebrate when those goals are met! Not to sound cheesy, but since starting my GFJ, I've gained much determination. For the past year and a half that determination has been geared to my weight loss and while I want that to continue, I also want to find determination in these other areas of my life. I want to save more money and spend it more wisely. I want to spend more time in the Word and in communication with my Lord. I want to cherish and nurture the relationships and friendships that I have an be determined to make new ones. One of my favorite verses of scripture comes from Hebrews 12:11.."Now no discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Learning to lose weight, learning to save money, learning to lay aside wants so that I have more time to spend with the Lord, learning to get out of my comfort zone so that I can build new relationships...these things are not always easy and not always pleasant at first. But the rewards are so sweet! Hang in there on your "get fit journey"...whatever your journey may be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meredith,

This is Kaylyn (Abby's sister-in-law). Just wanted to say I love your postings and find great encouragement from them. I am also very proud of your "Get fit journey." You go girl!!!!!

I love your dedication and devotion to the Lord. I love how your heart is so on fire for the Lord and it shows. I know Abby is blessed by your friendship and I am blessed to know you through her!

I am praying for Kenny and Teri Pope. I have been visiting their caringbridge site and they seem like amazing people! I admire Kenny's strong faith during this difficult trial. I am praying for God's perfect healing on him.

Meredith, I am also praying for you to find that perfect someone! May the Lord bless you with a special man, someone as special as you are and someone that is on fire for God as much as you are!

Sorry for the long comments. :)

Your sister in Christ,
Kaylyn Fernandez

Meredith said...

Kaylyn,

First of all, I can't say that I would allow Abby to live so far away if it weren't for you and your family being there too! To know that she, Joe and Elizabeth have your sweet family close by somehow makes things "ok"...as "ok" as things can be in this situation! :) I miss her so much it hurts sometimes, but am SO thankful you are near. I know you are incredibly precious to her and I think you're pretty great myself.

Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement on my weight loss and especially the prayers offered up on behalf of the wonderful man the Lord will hopefully choose to bless my life with one day. I'm praying it's sooner than later, but He knows best! :) Keep those prayers comin', Sister!

Hope you, Tony, and the girls are doing well. I can't believe how big they're getting...they're beautiful! Hopefully I'll be visiting sometime this summer and would love to see you all!

Thank you again for the sweet comments...I loved them! :)

Meredith